How To Use Coconut Oil For Weight Loss: Using coconut oil for weight loss is a good & proven system to rid our body of excess fat. In 1998, Researchers at McGill University obesity research group have discovered that medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), the type of fat located in coconut oil can act as weight loss agents.
Coconut oil has a bad rap due to the high content of saturated fats. However, the MCFAs are heart-healthy and can really reduce the risk of heart diseases.
In short, coconut oil does not cause heart diseases. On the opposite, it can support prevent them.
Here are some reasons why you should use coconut oil for weight loss:
2. Coconut oil is burning off three times faster than other natural fats (Dr. Mary Enig & Sally Fallon, 2005). This rapid conversion to energy kick-starts the body’s metabolism to burn excess body fat.
3. Coconut oil helps support thyroid function. A healthy thyroid aids weight loss. If your thyroid is settled, as in the case of hypothyroidism, you could experience weight gain & any weight loss effort can be very frustrating.
4. Coconut oil has a thermogenic effect. It increases body temperature, indicating higher metabolic activity, and it increases energy expenditure.
5. Coconut oil increases satiety. Cooking with coconut oil, and/or taking some coconut oil before a meal can prevent overeating while a meal and help with portion control. You’re able to eat less & feel full, hence helping you eat just what you need. You’ll also stay full longer.
6. Meals with fat help stabilize blood sugar levels. For weight loss, a stable blood sugar level is crucial. Stable blood sugar level stops cravings and helps you stay satiated longer.
How to use coconut oil for weight loss to get the best result
|How To Use Coconut Oil For Weight Loss|
1. Take 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil 20 minutes before each meal to increase satiety. You can consume them as they are, or mix them with hot herbal tea.
The appropriate dosage is as follows:
Bodyweight 90-130lbs (approximately 41-59kgs): 1 tablespoon x 3 meals (total of 3 tablespoons each day)
Bodyweight 131-180lbs (approximately 59-82kgs): 1.5 tablespoon x 3 meals (total of 4.5 tablespoons each day)
Bodyweight over 180lbs (over 82kgs): 2 tablespoons x 3 meals (total of 6 tablespoons each day)
(Reference: “Eat Fat, Lose Fat”, 2005, by Dr. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon)
2. Use coconut oil for all your cooking and baking needs.
Side note: It is useful to note that the 3-6 tablespoons dosage above is NOT an absolute limitation for coconut oil consumption. Dr. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon highly recommend taking 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil before any meal AND cooking foods with coconut oil.
Isabel De Los Rios, a certified nutritionist, and certified exercise expert and founder of The Diet Solution Program quoted this:
"I have never had a client not lose weight because of using too much coconut oil"
Recommended reading (if you know more about is coconut oil good for weight loss?):
If you want comprehensive details about using coconut oil for weight loss, there’s one book that focuses highly on using coconut products (coconut oil, coconut milk & desiccated coconut) and other healthy fats to lose weight, titled “Eat Fat, Lose Fat”, 2005, by Dr. Mary Enig (International Expert on Fats) and Sally Fallon (President, The Weston A. Price Foundation).
It’s not a typical diet book. It’s a complete re-education on fats, revealing how certain fats help you lose weight, where to get them and how to use them (appropriate dosages & recipes).